Whether you're starting a new business or rebranding, there will come a time in the lifespan of your company when you will need a new logo. A logo indentifies your brand and gives your company a professional image. The look and feel of your logo and brand guidelines determines the look and feel of all your visual communication.
Important questions to ask yourself when designing a new logo
Where do you start with the design of your new logo? First of all, it can be a good idea to ask yourself these questions before taking the next step.
- What does my company represent?
- Which colors suit my brand?
- What are the types of fonts that fit my brand?
- Who is my target audience?
- Which emotion or feeling does my logo need to awaken?
- Where will I use my logo?
- What type of logo do I want? Monogram, wordmark, abstract, mascot, emblem or pictorial?
The answers to these questions can help you determine how your logo should look and how you are going to use it in the future.
Useful tips for starting a great design process for your logo
- Make sure you always get the source files in a vector format (eg. eps or ai-file). This way you can always edit your logo and use it in various ways, small or (very) large.
- Choose a buy-out license and become the full owner of your logo. If you do this, you can use it wherever and wehenever you want, without restrictions or extra cost.
- Create the logo in different versions: color or black and white, inverted, with and without baseline, horizontal and vertical. This ensures it can be used for different purposes.
- Choose your colors wisely and according to your company story. Every color has a meaning and generates a specific feeling (also read: The meaning of logo colors).
- Create a brand manual with your logo and determine which fonts to use, i.e. the primary and secondary colors and some usage examples. This way you have a good starting point for everyone that wants to use the logo in the right way.
5 ways to get your new logo (for free)
1. Contact a design agency
Using the services of a design agency is not the cheapest way to get a new logo, but it is by far the most failsafe way. You will receive extensive support during the process of creation. The result will be a thought out corporate identity. Professional designers have an open mind and look at your company through a different lense. This can create a whole new vision and generates new and creative ideas. Designers, marketeers, advertising experts and communication specialists that work within an agency of your choice can each provide valuable input when creating a logo. Use this option if quality is the most important aspect and the budget is available.
2. Let a freelancer design your logo
A freelance designer has the right skills to design your logo. Whereas an agency consists of several people with different disciplines, a freelance designer often works alone. This means that a standalone designer usually provides less input and vision than an agency, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a problem. You may need to provide the right input and some ideas yourself. This can make the creation process more personal and could create more involvement, which is a good thing.
- Find your graphic designer on Fiverr
3. Organize a logo contest
Are you the type of person that likes to choose between several options? Then an online logo contest could be the way to go. A platform like BrandSupply uses multiple designers to create different logos from which you can choose. Once you've selected the logo (and the designer) additional adjustments can be made. At the start of the project you pay a startup fee. When you have found your matching logo and the final version is ready, the full amount has to be paid. There are several formulas to choose from. The more you pay, the more proposals you will receive.
- Start your logo contest on Brandsupply
4. Use an online design tool
If you search the internet for "logo design tool", you will find a variety of websites where you can create your own logo for free. One of these logo design tools is Adobe Creative Cloud Express. After selecting just a few parameters, you will receive a number of automatically generated logo designs. Not all of them are suitable and most designs are pretty basic, but sometimes you can find just what you need. After signing in, you can adjust and download the selected logo in various formats. This tool could provide some inspiration if you decide to work with a professional designer or agency.
- Generate your (free) logo with Adobe Creative Cloud Express
5. Start with a template or existing elements
We already talked about Canva as an interesting business tool to improve your efficiency. This online design tool also provides many logos you can adjust in an online interface. Simply log in to your Canva account, type "logo" in the search bar, and you will find hundreds of logos in different colors and shapes. All of these designs can be adjusted to your needs.
Another great resource to find logos and elements you can use, or be inspired by is Envato Elements. Always keep in mind that if you use a library, anyone can use the same logo for their business.
I hope these tips will help you in the process of designing your future proof logo and company image. I am looking forward to seeing the results!